Sunday, June 8, 2008

Discovery of the Day: Lee Iacocca is Pissed

I just finished reading Lee Iacocca's book "Where Have All the Leaders Gone" on the suggestion of a friend of mine. Quite frankly I don't think I would have picked up any book purposefully that has a picture of a rich old man smoking a big honking cigar on the cover of it if it hadn't been recommended. I have to say, I was pretty surprised at how pissed Lee Iacocca seems to be at the present time. Despite my preconceived notion of rich white men, Iacocca lambasts Bush and all of his cronies more or less calling them dimwits of the highest order. So right there he kind of won me over. He then goes on to lambast a whole list of folks including industry leaders, all manner of politicians, and the general public. His premise is that we HAVE NO leaders today. We live in a world where those in charge seem more interested in their own self interest and promoting a false sense of security. This can be seen not only with the handling of the war but also with the way we push children through the education system telling them "it's okay" before shoving their illiterate minds out the door to fend for themselves. As we sit back and remain complacent, other nations are rising to take the place that the United States once had as a leading nation.

The more I read and the more information I find on the internet and tv I can't help but to feel that the turning point for the United States happened a long time ago. We have become apathetic AND narcissistic. A deadly combo. It's not just the politicians...it's society as a whole. We expect to have everything and not work for it and that's that. Someone else fix the problem. We'll be chilling waiting for the reward. I'm thinking the big payday ain't coming.

Even if political change is possible in the near future, will that be enough if we don't have strong leaders throughout the community on many levels to make sure that our society is pointed in the right direction? Time will tell. But in the meantime, I'd say the time for apathy is over. So get up and start moving in some direction, any direction. If nothing else, at least it will burn some calories.

No comments: