Saturday, September 13, 2008

Discovery of the Day: Thom Yorke Solo Project

OK...so obviously I was in a hole somewhere and didn't realize Thom Yorke - lead singer of Radiohead - released a solo album in 2006. For me, Thom Yorke is one of the oddest figures in music. When I look at him I want to turn the channel. He isn't what you would call attractive by any standard. He scowls like some creature out of a Tolkien novel. He flails around when he dances like a child who hasn't figured out the idea of self consciousness yet. But when Thom Yorke sings...well...when he sings it's like he is the sweetest of the sweet choir boys in church.

For some reason, I still feel a bit put off when I hear him sing because I can't marry the two visions in my head. But the older I get, the more I appreciate feeling uncomfortable. Maybe there is a side of me that wishes I could get up there in front of millions with a big scowl and a stupid dance and not care at all. Of course it would help if I had the sweet voice but I'll make my wishes in small doses so as not to anger the Gods.

No comments: